Autism Support Program
The Autism Support Program is administered by Magellan through a contract with the Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS). This program was launched April 1, 2014. It provides Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) services to eligible children.
For a child to be eligible, the following requirements must be met:
- Children under the age of 9 at time of application.
- An Autism diagnosis is provided by a child psychiatrist, developmental pediatrician or clinical psychologist. Diagnosis was given within 24 months of the date of the application.
- The child does not qualify for Medicaid coverage or coverage under a commercial insurance plan.
- Meets specified Federal Poverty Level income guidelines (under 400% FPL)
ASP Application Process
- Family must complete application, in full, and provide all required documentation to Magellan.
- Magellan will issue an eligibility determination within 30 days of receipt of the initial application.
- Applications for eligibility may be denied based on incomplete documentation.
- A Magellan representative will reach out to the parent within 3 working days of receipt of the application to let them know it was received and to request any missing documentation.
Iowa Providers Listing Autism Connections
Member Handbook and Application Provider Handbook and Forms
Frequently Asked Questions Autism Support Program Q&A
New resources available for caregivers of children with autism
Magellan knows that parents of children with autism face many challenges. But you are not alone. Now you can connect with other parents who have children with autism. This can help you build a network of support. We are proud to offer you access to two new resources:
This site includes a list of providers and services. The list is based on suggestions from parents and caregivers like you. You can search the list to find the kinds of services you are looking for to help you and your child.
This site is a social network and support group. It is made just for individuals who care for children with autism.
Magellan Healthcare, Inc. is sharing these social networks as an informational resource for our members. Sharing these resources does not mean that we approve of the content, provider referrals or posts. It also does not mean that we will authorize the services listed on the sites.
More help is available - You may also wish to find out about other autism services that you can access through your plan. Please contact us at any time if you would like to find out more. You can reach us at 800.317.3738.
Child Health Specialty Clinics: Regional Autism Assistance Program (RAP) brochure
RAP Referral Form